Back to NEW IN CANADA Page
Play Games First three months, you will have to pay for every medical service. You should apply for health card after arrival, but no hurry it will be valid on completion of three months, so if you will apply for it within three four week of arrival, it is ok. Health service is a responsibility of provinces / territories, so check the ministry of health web site of the province where you have planned live. You can use internet at public library or get the telephone number from telephone book (telephone directory). Provinces have drug benefit programs. Check with the ministry of your province. Bring your proof of last year income. You may need it for applying for it. You may get information from Pharmacy (Drug Shop). If you have a family, such programs can be of big benefit. Choice is yours.
There are two types of medications, one is prescription medicine and the other one is on counter medicine. For prescription medicine you need prescription from doctor and during first three you will have to pay fee to the doctor, which is not easy especially for new comers. If doctors have advised you to take any medication, you should bring it with you.
At some places it is difficult to get a family doctor due to shortage of doctors (Canadian qualified). In walk in clinics (Doctors Offices) you may need to wait for a couple of hours. For some treatments; like chemotherapy, you may have to wait for a certain period of time ( if you can survive).
Some Healthcare, Women and Seniors Services:

Web site:

Findhelp Information Services
Formerly known as Community Information Toronto
Office phone: 416-392-4605
Toll-free phone: 1-800-836-3238 Sales orders outside Toronto only
TTY phone: 1-888-340-1001
Fax: 416-392-4580
Web site:
Address: 543 Richmond St W, Ste 125, Toronto, ON, M5V 1Y6
Location (Intersection): Toronto Central (Bathurst St-Queen St W)
Area served: Canada

Canadian Hearing Society

Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture
Office phone: 416-363-1066
Toll-free phone: 1-877-292-2288
Fax: 416-363-2122
Web site:
Address: 194 Jarvis St, 2nd Fl, Toronto, ON, M5B 2B7

Alberta's Primary Care Initiative

Seniors and Community Supports Home

British Columbia:
Home and Community Care
Primary Health Care

Anishnawbe Health Toronto
Office phone: 416-360-0486
Fax: 416-365-1083
Web site:
Address: 225 Queen St E, Toronto, ON, M5A 1S4
Location (Intersection): Toronto East (Sherbourne St-Queen St E)

Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic Office phone: 416-323-9149
TTY phone: 416-323-1361
Fax: 416-323-9107
Web site:
Address: 489 College St, Ste 503, Toronto, ON, M6G 1A5

Canadian Hearing Society
Toronto Regional Office Office phone: 416-964-9595 ; 416-928-2500
TTY phone: 416-964-0023
Fax: 416-928-2523
Web site:
Address: 271 Spadina Rd, Toronto, ON, M5R 2V3

Canadian Mental Health Association
Toronto Branch
Office phone: 416-789-7957
Fax: 416-789-9079
Web site:
Address: Lawrence Square Mall, 700 Lawrence Ave W, Ste 480, Toronto, ON, M6A 3B4

CANES Home Support Services
Office phone: 416-743-3892
Fax: 416-743-7654
Web site:
Address: Thistletown Multi Service Centre, 925 Albion Rd, Ste 309, Toronto, ON, M9V 1A6

Child Development Institute
Office phone: 416-603-1827
Fax: 416-603-6655
Web site:
Address: 197 Euclid Ave, Toronto, ON, M6J 2J8

Circle of Care
Office phone: 416-635-2860
Fax: 416-635-1692 ; 416-635-9492
Web site:
Address: 530 Wilson Ave, 4th Fl, Toronto, ON, M3H 5Y9

Ontario Division
Office phone: 416-486-2500
Fax: 416-480-8658
Web site:
Address: 1929 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON, M4G 3E8

Epilepsy Toronto
Office phone: 416-964-9095
Crisis phone: 416-964-9095
Toll-free phone: 1-866-374-5377 ; 1-866-EPILEPSY
Fax: 416-964-2492
Web site:
Address: 510 King St E, Ste 224, Toronto, ON, M5A 1M1
Location (Intersection): Toronto East (Bayview Ave-Queen St E)
Eligibility: Persons with epilepsy and their families


Back to the Top